Thursday, January 10, 2013

Standing with Louie


Louie Giglio has been an important influence on multiple generations and was invited to pray at the inauguration of the president.  His most recent influence has been in leading the charge against human trafficking across the globe.  It is amazing how much momentum this cause has gained under his leadership.  Last week at Passion 2013, college students gave about $4 millon to the cause.  It is the significance of this movement that led to his invitation to pray.  
Upon learning of his invitation, the media immediately went into dirt mode and has very widely published bits and pieces of a sermon he preached 22 years ago to prove that he is a bigot and anti-gay.  I can't believe that is what our country has come to.  What if in every job interview, the emphasis was on something you said 22 years ago?  Louie has preached 1000's of sermons that weren't picked through...only the 1 that said what they wanted to prove he said.  It is fickle and immature.  If you want to make claims on a man's character, read them all.  That's what integrity would do.  There is so little integrity in journalism anymore. 
Our country is divided right down the middle on the issue of homosexuality.  That means that we all know someone that we disagree with on this topic.  It doesn't mean that we can't focus on what we do agree on and love each other anyway.  For a supporter of gay rights to call a conflicting opinion bigoted is to make an equally bigoted statement.  I'm glad I'm not very publicly judged by something that I said 22 years ago.  
I find tremendous class in Louie's response (below).  He's so anti-guy that there's one sermon out of thousands that he's preached that even raised the issue, and hasn't even brought it up in 15 years. I'm disappointed in our country...again.  We let the loud voices of a few dictate the norms, and the truth gets glossed over so we can rush to judgement.  The Left does it.  The Right does it, and it's ridiculous. 
I feel like this is well said...
 "I am honored to be invited by the President to give the benediction at the upcoming inaugural on January 21.  Though the President and I do not agree on every issue, we have fashioned a friendship around common goals and ideals, most notably, ending slavery in all its forms.  
Due to a message of mine that has surfaced from 15-20 years ago, it is likely that my participation, and the prayer I would offer, will be dwarfed by those seeking to make their agenda the focal point of the inauguration.  Clearly, speaking on this issue has not been in the range of my priorities in the past fifteen years. Instead, my aim has been to call people to ultimate significance as we make much of Jesus Christ.
Neither I, nor our team, feel it best serves the core message and goals we are seeking to accomplish to be in a fight on an issue not of our choosing, thus I respectfully withdraw my acceptance of the President’s invitation.  I will continue to pray regularly for the President, and urge the nation to do so.  I will most certainly pray for him on Inauguration Day.
Our nation is deeply divided and hurting, and more than ever need God’s grace and mercy in our time of need."
If half of our country can make a hate case out of Louie Giglio, God help us...
jason


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home