Thursday, June 28, 2007

Hot Pursuit

Holly, Jake, and I have now been away from home for seven days, and we have three more to go. I wish I could say that it's been a restful and relaxing time. It all started with a meeting in Dallas last Thursday that was hosted by the Acts 29 church planting network. It was a seminar on leadership taught by a seminary professor. While it was very helpful and informative, it felt like seminary, and I left wiped out. The next day we went to Tulsa, OK to move my grandmother and all of her stuff to my aunt and uncle's house in Wichita, KS. That took all day Friday and Saturday. We spent Sunday and Monday with family - which was great, but wasn't so great on sleep patterns. We came back to Burleson for the rest of the week where we were going to celebrate our anniversary and hang out until I have to do a wedding in Dallas this weekend. We got in at midnight on Monday night and didn't get a whole lot of sleep. Tuesday night we got a call at 11:15pm that Holly's grandfather had fallen in the bathroom and was not responsive. We rushed over there and then to the Emergency Room until 2:30am. He had suffered an ischemic stroke. He's still in the hospital, and they're trying to determine the best plan for treatment. Needless to say, no sleep was to be had that night either. The next day was our anniversary, but we were so tired that we didn't feel like doing anything. How pathetic is that? On top of that Holly's been under the weather - probably from all of the dust and dirt from my Grandma's house. Anyway, we got some sleep last night - finally, and we're looking forward to this trip being over. Now for the fun part...

On Tuesday afternoon, I set off for some errands I had to run and to find the local coffee shop so I could get some work done. On the way, I dropped off my suit to be cleaned for the wedding. When I was waiting to pull out on to the feeder road, I witnessed the car next to me pull out into a far lane and hit a truck. The car was a 1970's town car which was absolutely massive. It hit a F-150 and knocked it clear off the road. The huge car backed off the road back into the parking lot, and I figured that he was just getting out of the way of traffic, but then I noticed that he didn't stop. I saw him start to turn around, and that's when I felt compelled to do my duty to dance upon injustice. It was pouring down rain, and this guy took off through the parking lot, dodging traffic, trying to escape. I tailed him. While I was hopping curbs, dodging cars and trying not to hydroplane, I got on the phone with 911. I told them what had happened and where I was and where it looked like he was going. I was tailing him from a distance and there was a dead end where I didn't know which way he went. I ended up going the wrong way, but I told them that he must've gone the other way, and by the time I turned around, they had him pulled over. Justice was served.

Needless to say, it's fun to get to play cops and robbers or cowboys and indians. It brought a little adrenaline and excitement to an otherwise taxing trip.


Blogger Holly said...

I'm glad we're home, and I just have one question...did you feel like Rosco P. Coltrane?

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home